The tourist resort of Sharm El-Sheikh is gearing up to host the 27th Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP27) in Sharm El-Sheikh from 7 to 18 November, with the aim of taking advantage of the past successes and pave the way for future ambition.
It will be a golden opportunity for all stakeholders to rise to the occasion and effectively address the global challenge of climate change facilitated by Egypt on the African continent.
Egypt occupies the next presidency of the twenty-seventh session of the Conference of the Parties with a clear awareness of the gravity of the global climate challenge and the appreciation of the value of multilateral, collective and concerted action as the only way to face this real global problem. threat.
Africa is determined to demonstrate its leadership in climate action, showcasing its contributions to the global movement to tackle climate change, its role in facilitating and mobilizing action at scale, and its vision of a just and sustainable future for its people and the populations around the world. world. Generally.
We hope that COP27 will be a turning point where the world will come together and demonstrate the political will necessary to address the climate challenge through coordinated, collaborative and impactful actions. Where agreements and commitments have been translated into projects and programmes, where the world has shown that we are serious about working together and we rise to the occasion, where climate change has become a zero-sum equation and there is no longer an “us and they”. ” but an international community working for the common good of our common planet and humanity.
Addressing the climate crisis requires bold and swift collective action. These are the purposes of COP27:
- The vision of the Egyptian COP 27 presidency is to move from negotiations and planning to implementation. Now is the time to act on the ground. Therefore, it is imperative that we move quickly towards comprehensive, timely, comprehensive and wide-ranging action on the ground.
- We need to coordinate our global efforts. If we are to keep our promises and commitments, words must become action.
- Globally, the frequency and severity of extreme weather events affect the lives and livelihoods of millions of people. Rising global average temperature and rapid global warming are causing alarming consequences for humans and all other life on Earth.
- Indeed, the climate crisis will exacerbate social, economic and environmental threats. Therefore, urgent actions are needed to address the climate crisis and strengthen the implementation of responses aimed at creating a resilient planet.
- Our collective efforts to combat the negative effects of climate change are necessary/critical if we are to ensure a sustainable future for all.
Sharm El Sheikh is the ideal destination to host an inclusive and sustainable COP. Sharm El Sheikh is committed to green transformation and has made great strides in adopting sustainable operations for accommodation, transport, energy, waste management and tourism.
Sharm El Sheikh has proven a proven track record in organizing international events and conferences such as the Conference of States Parties to the United Nations Convention against Corruption (UNODC) and the Conference of Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD COP14). ).
Surrounded by two beautiful protected areas, Sharm El Sheikh is a place that inspires participants to tackle climate change and protect the planet. A variety of pristine coral reefs, an abundance of marine life nestled among the rugged mountains of Sinai offer endless exploration. In Sharm El Sheikh, you can explore some of Egypt’s unique natural environments, above and below water, while contributing to the preservation of these habitats and the improvement of local livelihoods.
Protecting the health of COP27 participants and the local community of Sharm El Sheikh will be our top priority in planning the event, and all safety precautions are being explored to ensure this.